Wednesday, August 21, 2013

At the Airport - Jamie


Leah clutched her suitcase tightly. Everything she owned was in her hands. She was tired of this... she had to admit. Three years ago she had sold all her furniture and everything unnecessary, canceled the lease on her flat, and vanished into a world of trains and airplanes and tickets. Her passport was well worn, and her most prized possession. Finding the correct gate, she took a seat and waited for the airline to announce boarding. The young woman took her passport in her hands and stroked it gently. “We’ve been through a lot together, haven’t we old friend?” she murmured to it. “But this will be your last stamp for the foreseeable future. I’m going home.”

Leah looked out the window at the vague outline of the plane hidden in morning’s dusk. She stared out the window, contemplating entirely unrelated topics like barking dogs and the mythical writer’s block and the debate about whether it truly existed or not. She’d been sitting there for twelve minutes, there was three more minutes until boarding began.

She lifted a book from her suitcase and began to read. How far can one get through in three minutes?

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like it! x) I think my favorite part is the line, "She stared out the window, contemplating entirely unrelated topics like barking dogs and the mythical writer's block and the debate about whether it truly existed or not." Or maybe it's the part where she's talking to her passport... *giggles* xD

    Where is she going, I wonder? Is it truly "home" to her, or is any place home now that she's been traveling for so long? Also, what book is she reading? <.< >.>

    Well done, Jamie. ^_^ You made me love yet another character that I'll probably never see again. -_-
    I enjoyed it, though. Completely. x)

    - Bree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bree! ^_^ Ooo, I like those questions! That would have been something cool to explore, whether it was truly "home" or not... if only she could have gotten the mythical writer's block off her mind, she might have spent some time pondering the point. xD And yes. Which book she was reading is completely very important!!! If she's anything like us, she'd probably be reading... oh, say... Tales of Goldestone Wood? And if she's nothing like us then maybe she'd be reading... hmm... The Pearl by John Steinbeck. Hated that book. >_< U_U

    Awww... x) Yeah, you're probably right. Glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. *giggles* Perhaps she would have. xD Ooh, those are good books. x) The ToGW. Not The Pearl. >_> That was... an awful book. I didn't even like his writing style! T_T I don't understand why our teacher forced us to read it. I hope Leah's like us. U_U

    Is there a hope that I'll see her again? =D If so, I'd be delighted.

    *glares at computer for not letting me put my own name* Ah, well. >_> I'll go as Tower Scribe again. xD

    ReplyDelete